Friday, November 2, 2007

Bethlehem City Republican Committee Gets Active; City Council Candidate fails to disclose contribution

This evening I received an email from a person who wishes to remain anonymous. I will respect this person's wishes. I am allowed to tell you that this person is a Democratic Committeeperson from Bethlehem.

This person passed along two tidbits of information to me.

1. Meg Holland, the Republican candidate for City Controller, was asked by the Bethlehem City Republican Committee to remove signs from her yard showing her support for Democratic candidates. I was informed that one of the signs was a J. William Reynolds for City Council sign. Bernie O'hare acknowledged in a post earlier this week that Meg was also supporting Democratic NorCo Controller Candidate Stephen Barron with a sign in her front yard.

Meg Holland complied with the request. The signs were removed as of this evening.

2. Earlier this week, the Morning Call reported that little money is being spent in the City Council race. Republican Candidate Esther Lee reported on her expense report that she had a campaign budget on zero dollars. If you drive around the city, you will notice that Esther Lee has campaign signs scattered throughout the city. My anonymous emailer tells me that "if you look closely, her signs are paid for by the Bethlehem City Republican Committee."
My anonymous emailer states "this is an in-kind contribution that must be reported by the candidate or the candidate's authorized committee."
I verified that the signs are paid for by the City Republican Committee tonight when I took my dog for a walk, and I believe the Morning Call's reporting is accurate. I would think that Esther Lee would know about campaign finance reports requirements after all the attempts at office she made in the past.


It is nice to see the Republican Committee active in the City. I would hope that they would have their candidates worry about the accuracy of their finance reports, rather than concern themselves with which signs are in one of their candidates yards.

6 comments:

Bernie O'Hare said...

BethlehemDem,

Good work!

1) Esther Lee has run for office enough times to know the rules.

2) After learning that Schimmel is funding Severson, the city Republicans might want Holland to put that Barron sign back up and ask him for a few.

Blah Society said...

Thanks for this blog. I've been questioning Esther Lee tonight, but this helped me finalize my opinion.

Blue Coyote said...

Wow, that surprises me about Esther Lee. She should know better. I hope there is an amendment soon.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Not as of this afternoon.

BethlehemDem said...

Thanks for the update Bernie.

I do not think Esther Lee stand much of a chance, however the rules are for all to abide.

Blah Society said...

I've seen some Esther Lee signs popping up over the past couple of days. I still don't think she will win a seat.